This fruity classic is quick–and–easy to make. Serve on its own or with soya cream, ice cream or custard.
For the flan base:
- 175g (3/4 cup) caster sugar
- 250ml (1 cup + 1 tbsp) plant milk
- 6 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 250g (2 cups) self raising flour
- 2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
For the topping:
- 1 packet vegan strawberry quick jelly
- 500g mixed berries
- Preheat oven to 180°C (Gas Mark 4, 350°F) and grease 9 inch loose bottomed tart tin.
- Cut 3 circles of greaseproof paper slightly smaller than the tin, about 1cm in from the edge.
- Combine all the ingredients for the base in a mixing bowl and whisk on a high–speed for 1-2 minutes.
- Transfer the mix to tart tin, place the greaseproof circles (one on top of the other) in the middle of the mixture — this will help the edges rise and make a dip in the middle and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and leave the base to cool.
- Top with mixed berries. Make up the vegan quick jelly as per pack instructions and pour over the tart.
- Leave to set for a few minutes then serve.
Per serving (268g) Calories: 520, Carbohydrates: 95.5g, Sugars: 64g, Fat: 13g, Saturates: 1.4g, Protein: 5.3g, Salt: 1.7g
Taken from August 2018 (Issue 41) Vegan Life Magazine