Serves 4 as a side
- 1 white onion, finely sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 1 tsp vegan spread
- Oil, for frying
- 750g medium waxy whole potatoes
- 250g (1 generous cup) spinach
- Dried mixed herbs
- Pinch salt
- 300ml (11/4 cups) vegetable stock
- 100ml (scant 1/2 cup) dry white wine (optional you can substitute with additional stock)
- 25g (1/4 cup) fresh white breadcrumbs
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/ 375°F/Gas 5.
- Fry the onions and crushed garlic cloves until translucent.
- Stir in the flour and spread and set aside.
- Finely slice the potato.
- Line a baking dish with the onion and garlic, then layer the sliced potato and spinach alternately.
- Sprinkle over the herbs and salt and pour in the stock and wine.
- Bake for 45 mins to one hour or until the potatoes feel softened when a knife is inserted. 5 minutes before the end of cooking time, remove from the oven and sprinkle with the breadcrumbs before finishing in the oven until crisp and golden.
Per serving (393g) Calories: 239, Carbohydrates: 44.6g, Sugars: 4.4g, Salt: 1.7g, Fat: 2.4g Saturates: 0.3g, Protein: 7.6g
Taken from October 2018 (Issue 43) Vegan Life Magazine