Makes 4-5 burgers
- 80g (½ cup) oats (gluten-free if needed)
- 95g (½ cup) sunflower seeds
- 30g (½ cup) bread crumbs
- 460g (2 cups) roughly chopped broccoli
- 80g (2 cups) packed spinach
- 75g (½ cup) chopped white onion
- 20g (½ cup) packed basil
- 2 tbsp vegan ranch
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 4-5 buns
- Vegan ranch
- Red onion
- Pulse the oats and sunflower seeds in a food processor and add to
a large bowl. Add the bread crumbs to the bowl.
- Pulse the broccoli into small pieces and add them to the bowl.
- Next, pulse the spinach, onion and basil. Add them to the bowl.
- Put the vegan ranch, salt, garlic powder and pepper in the bowl and mix well.
- Place the bowl in the fridge for at least 20 minutes; an hour is best. Making this the day before and letting it sit overnight is optimal. This helps all the flavors marinate and leads to a sturdier burger.
- The mixture may look crumbly, but once you pack it into a patty it sticks together well. If it is falling apart, then your veggies were on the drier side so you may need to add a touch of water to the mixture, or you can add a little bit more of the ranch sauce. Add 1 teaspoon at a time until the mixture holds together.
- To cook, shape the mixture into patties. If you’re not using a nonstick
pan, then you may want to prepare the pan by brushing it with a tad of oil to avoid sticking. Place the patties in a pan on the stovetop over medium heat for 15 minutes on each side. Pans and stovetops vary, so begin to check the patties at 10 minutes. If you try to slide your spatula under a patty and it won’t give, then it isn’t ready and needs to cook longer.
- You can also bake the patties on a parchment-lined cookie sheet at 190°C (Gas Mark 5, 375°F) for about 20-25 minutes on each side. Allow the patties to cool and set for 5-7 minutes.
- Serve on buns with the toppings of your choice.
Kids Make patties into a smaller slider size or into nuggets. Serve sauce on the side as a dipper.
Per 100g – Burger only Calories: 144, Carbohydrates: 14.0g, Sugars: 2.3g, Fat: 6.3g, Saturates: 0.9g, Protein: 6.0g, Salt: 0.27g
Recipe and Images from: Vegan Burgers and Burritos . Cover and book design by Page Street Publishing Co.
February 2018 (Issue 35) Vegan Life Magazine