Makes 10-12 slices
Ingredients for the loaf:
- 1 chia egg (mix 1 tbsp of chia seeds with 3 tbsp water, for 10 mins until a gel forms)
- 260g (11/2 cups) buckwheat flour
- 160g (11/2 cups) coconut flour
- 4 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 4 tbsp maple syrup
- 50g (1/3 cup) pistachios, shelled (unsalted)
- Coconut oil
Ingredients for the icing:
- 1 tin coconut milk (chilled in the fridge overnight). You just want the fat from the top of the can
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- Extra pistachios to to
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (Gas Mark 4, 350°F).
- In a mixing bowl, make the chia egg by adding 1 tbsp of chia seeds with 3 tbsp water for 10 mins until a gel like substance has formed.
- Whilst the chia egg is forming, shell the pistachios if you haven’t managed to buy them this way. Crush them with a rolling pin until they are into halves.
- Line a bread baking tin with baking paper greased with coconut oil.
- In a bowl mash four ripe bananas with a fork until there are no lumps.
- To the chia egg add the coconut flour, buckwheat flour, mashed bananas, cinnamon and maple syrup and mix with a spoon.
- Now add the pistachios and mix in well with your hands until a dough forms.
- Tightly press the dough into the baking tin and place in the oven for 20 mins.
- Whilst the bread is baking, add the
coconut fat (top thick part of the coconut milk can) to a bowl and machine whisk until it starts becoming slightly frothy, at this point add 1 tbsp of maple syrup and whisk again.
- Put this mix to the fridge to use later.
- Once the bread is ready, remove from the baking tin and allow to cool fully before topping with the coconut icing (otherwise it melts) this roughly takes 60-90 minutes.
- Now remove the icing from the fridge and simply layer it onto the loaf and finally top with more pistachios.
Top Tip: You can always try this with different nuts or without any if you have a nut allergy!
Per 100g Calories: 419, Carbohydrates: 41.0g, Sugars: 9.0g, Fat: 18.0g, Saturates: 2.3g, Protein: 20.0g, Salt: 1.1g
Recipe from: Healthy Living James www.healthylivingjames.co.uk Instagram and Facebook @healthylivingjames
January 2018 (Issue 34) Vegan Life Magazine