For the donuts
- 200g (2 cups) plain gluten–free flour
- 60g (1/4 cup) caster sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- Pinch salt
- ½ tsp xanthan gum
- 125ml (½ cup) soya milk
- 40g (1/4 cup) vegetable shortening
- 1 tsp vanilla powder
- Sunflower oil for frying
For the sugar coating
- 60g (¼ cup) caster sugar
- Put the sugar for coating in a bowl and set aside.
- In a heavy pot or deep saucepan heat the sunflower oil.
- Whilst the oil is heating prepare the doughnut dough.
- Sift the flour into a bowl and add the sugar, baking powder, bicarb, vanilla powder, salt and xanthan gum; gently mix together then create a well in the middle.
- Add the melted shortening and soya milk and combine to form a sticky dough.
- You can test the oil by dropping a small amount of mixture or a small piece of bread in and if it sizzles it is ready.
- Drop in the dough (in golf ball sized pieces) carefully into the oil in batches of 3 or 4 at a time.
- After a few minutes when golden and crisp — they should float to the surface — remove carefully with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper.
- Allow to cool briefly then roll in the sugar mix.
- Repeat with the rest of the dough.
Per 100g Calories: 324, Carbohydrates: 51.0g, Sugars: 21.0g, Fat: 11.0g, Saturates: 2.2g, Protein: 4.9g, Salt: 0.84g
CHERRY DIP FOR DONUTS
- 150g (3/4 cup) frozen cherries
- 50g (1/4 cup) icing sugar
- 2 tsp cornflour mixed with a little water to form a paste
- Warm the cherries in a pan, and as they release liquid add the icing sugar.
- When dissolved, add the cornflour and stir and then mash or blend for a finer texture.
Taken from June 2018 (Issue 39) Vegan Life Magazine