- 8 tsp vegan egg replacer powder
- 240ml (1 cup) water
- 1 large carrot, peeled and grated
- 200g (7/8 cup) tinned pumpkin puree (you can freeze half of the can for next time)
- 200g (1 cup) The Groovy Food Company coconut sugar
- 40g (1/4 cup) The Groovy Food Company organic coconut flour
- 50g (1/2 cup) pecans, roughly chopped
- 70g (1/2 cup) raisins or sultanas
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste or 1 vanilla pod (extract the vanilla seeds from the pod)
- ¼ tsp sea salt
Cashew Butter Cream:
- 400g (23/4 cups) raw cashews (soaked in water for 6-8 hours)
- 120ml (1/2 cup) The Groovy Food Company coconut oil, melted
- 120ml (1/2 cup) The Groovy Food Company light amber & mild agave nectar
- 4 tsp lemon juice
- 1 vanilla pod (extract the vanilla seeds from the pod)
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 30g (1/3 cup) desiccated coconut, toasted
- 30g (1/4 cup) pumpkin seeds, toasted
- Place the cashew nuts in a bowl, cover with cold water and leave to soak for 6-8 hours (preferably best to do this overnight). Then rinse off the cashews through a sieve and leave to dry on kitchen paper, or a clean tea towel.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C or 170°C fan-assisted (Gas Mark 5, 375°F).
- Using three 20cm sandwich tins, line the base of each tin with baking paper.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the vegan egg replacer powder and water,
then add the baking powder, cinnamon, vanilla and salt. Add the grated carrot, pumpkin puree, coconut sugar and coconut flour. Mix until thoroughly combined. Fold in the chopped pecans and raisins or sultanas to the mixture.
- Evenly divide the cake mixture between the three pre-lined cake tins.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for 25 minutes. Then remove from the oven to cool for 5-10 minutes.
- Remove the cakes from the tin and leave to cool (you can make the cakes the day before. Place on separate plates and cover with foil until ready to decorate).
- In a dry frying pan, toast the desiccated coconut and pumpkin seeds over a medium heat until the coconut is toasted, then leave to cool.
- To make the cashew butter cream, in a food processor place the soaked cashew nuts, coconut oil, agave nectar, lemon juice, vanilla pod seeds and salt and blend until smooth for approximately 5-7 minutes.
- To assemble the cake, remove the parchment paper from each cake. Using either a cake plate or stand, place the one layer of cake on the base, then divide the cashew butter cream into three sections and layer the cashew butter cream between the layers and on top of the cake, leaving the sides exposed.
- Top the cake with the toasted desiccated coconut and pumpkin seeds.
- Keep the cake refrigerated; allow the cake to come to room temperature before serving.
Per 100g Calories: 405, Carbohydrates: 30.0g, Sugars: 22.0g, Fat: 28.0g, Saturates: 12.0g, Protein: 8.0g, Salt: 0.31g
Recipe and images courtesy of The Groovy Food Company. www.groovyfood.co.uk
March 2018 (Issue 36) Vegan Life Magazine