This spooky cheesecake takes its ghoulish green colour from spirulina. A soft and creamy delight, it’s ideal to wow your guests at any Halloween gathering.
For the base:
- 220g (2¼ cups) digestive biscuits, finely crushed
- 90g (3/8 cup) dairy-free butter, melted
For the filling:
- 400g (generous 1¾ cups) dairy-free cream cheese
- 125g (generous ½ cup) granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp lemon zest, finely grated
- 190ml soya milk
- 4 tbsp agar flakes
- 2 tsp spirulina
- 1 tsp peppermint extract
- Grease an 18cm, loose-bottomed, deep tin and line the base with baking parchment.
- Mix the digestives and the butter until evenly combined.
- Press the crumbs evenly across the base of the tin, and place in the fridge to chill for 20 minutes.
- For the filling, mix together the cheese, sugar, lemon juice, zest, spirulina and peppermint extract until well combined. Heat up the filling mixture in a bain marie until softened.
- In a saucepan, simmer the milk and whisk in the agar, stirring constantly until dissolved.
- Combine the agar milk with the warmed filling mixture, and pour over the biscuit base. Chill for 4 hours, or even better, overnight.
Per serving (133g) Calories: 325, Carbohydrates: 38g, Sugars: 26g, Salt: 0.70g, Fat: 16g, Saturates: 4.6g, Protein: 4.8g
Taken from October 2018 (Issue 43) Vegan Life Magazine