Get involved with making some haunting treats with this Halloween recipe for pumpkin cupcakes topped with vegan cream cheese frosting.
Makes 12 | Prep time: 10 mins + cooling and icing | Cook time: 15-18 minutes
For the cupcakes
- 75g Vegan butter
- 150g Granulated sugar
- 150g White flour
- 170g Pumpkin puree
- 2 Tsp Vanilla bean paste or extract
- 6 Tbs Non-dairy milk
- ½ Tsp cinnamon
- ½ Tsp Nutmeg
- ½ Tsp Ground ginger
- 2 Tsp Baking powder
- Pinch sea salt
For the frosting
- 115g Vegan cream cheese, chilled
- 115g vegan butter, chilled
- 275g Icing sugar, sifted
- 1 Tbs Maple syrup
- Freshly grated nutmeg, to decorate
- Halloween themed decorations- We used Hotel Chocolat, Wingston The Bat chocolates
- Preheat oven to 170°C and fill a 12 hole muffin tin with cupcake cases.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the milk, pumpkin and vanilla to the butter and sugar and mix.
- Sift the flour, spices and salt into the bowl and fold together until combined, but do not over mix.
- Spoon the mixture into the cake cases until they are 2/3 full to allow for rising.
- Transfer to the oven and bake for 15 minutes before checking them. The cakes are cooked when a cocktail stick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Leave to cool completely before icing.
- To prepare the icing, whip all the ingredients together until fluffy and combined. Use a pallet knife or a piping bag to decorate the cakes. The icing will soften and spread at room temperature so keep cool or chilled until serving.
- Finish the cakes with a grating of nutmeg.
Nutrition (per 100g)
Calories: 327 | Carbohydrates: 46.0g | Sugars: 43.0g | Fat: 15.0g | Saturates: 4.3g | Protein: 1.2g | Salt: 1.1g