This show stopping Halloween cake makes the perfect centrepiece for a party. Soft sponge layers filled with an Oreo buttercream make for a wickedly spooky delight.
For the filling:
- 500g (4 cups) icing sugar
- 225g (1 cup) dairy-free butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 125g Oreos, roughly crushed
For the sponge:
- 300g (11/3 cups) dairy-free butter
- 450g (2 cups) caster sugar
- 300g (1 cup plus 3 tbsp) soya yoghurt
- 300ml (1 cup plus 21/2 tbsp) soya milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Few drops orange colouring
- 600g (4 cups) self-raising flour
- 11/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 11/2 tsp baking powder
- 1kg white fondant icing
- Black writing icing
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/ Gas 4. Line four 9-inch shallow cake tins with baking paper.
- To make the filling, sift the icing sugar into a bowl and beat together with the butter and vanilla. Place a quarter of the plain buttercream aside into a bowl and put in the fridge, this will be enough to lightly cover the outside of your cake. Add the Oreos to the remaining filling mixture and refrigerate.
- To make the cake, cream the butter and sugar for a few minutes, until pale and fluffy, with an electric mixer.
- Add the soya milk, yoghurt, vanilla and colouring, and beat slowly to combine.
- Gently fold in the flour, bicarbonate of soda and baking powder.
- Divide between the four tins and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool in the tin for a few minutes before turning out onto a wire rack. When they are completely cool, trim any excess cake with a knife so each tier is equal size and shape.
- Add a layer of the Oreo buttercream between each sponge tier and stack. Take a palette knife and use the plain buttercream to spread a thin layer covering the sides and top of the cake.
- Roll out the icing and carefully cover the cake, smoothing any edges as you go. When the cake is covered, use black writing icing to draw a spider web design onto your cake.
Per serving (238g) Calories: 882, Carbohydrates: 149g, Sugars: 118g, Salt: 1.6g, Fat: 29g, Saturates: 6.9g, Protein: 6.4g
Taken from October 2018 (Issue 43) Vegan Life Magazine