For the bake:
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 red onion, finely sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tbsp wholegrain or Dijon mustard
- 2 medium butternut squash (about 1.8-2kg when prepared), peeled, quartered and thinly sliced100g cavolo nero, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp panko breadcrumbs
- Handful of vegan grated cheese
For the creamy sauce:
- 100g vegetable oil spread or vegan butter
- 100g plain flour
- 1L Alpro Oat Unsweetened drink
- 1 tsp garlic granules
- 2 tsp onion powder (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180C/160fan/gas 4. In a large frying pan, heat the vegetable oil over a low heat. Add the onions and gently fry for 5-8 minutes until softened. Add the garlic and mustard, season with salt and pepper and fry for a few more minutes, set aside.
- For the sauce, in a large saucepan, over a low- medium heat add the spread/butter and melt. Stir in the flour and mix together making a smooth paste. Bubble the paste for a few minutes until it smells biscuity then remove from the heat and slowly beat in the Alpro Oat Unsweetened drink. When you have a lump-free thin sauce, (you may need a balloon whisk to achieve this) return the pan to the heat and stir the sauce until thickened, this will take about 5 minutes. When thickened, let the sauce simmer for a few more minutes then add the garlic and onion powder if using, and season to taste.
- In a 1.7-2L ovenproof dish, layer the pumpkin slices with the onion mix and raw chopped cavolo nero then pour over the sauce. Bake for 50 minutes then turn up the heat to 200C/400F/ Gas 6 and top with the panko breadcrumbs and cheese, bake for further 10-15 minutes until golden and bubbling.
Recipe and Images Courtesy of Alpro