Chocolate makes the heart sing, it makes you happy – there is no arguing about that!
Make sure you make a big batch of these because they won’t last long. They are the perfect holiday dessert, or actually, any occasion will do.
Makes 10 small bites
- 80g (1⁄2 cup) hazelnuts (plus 10 whole hazelnuts for the middle)
- 80g (3⁄4 cup) almond flour
- 3 tbsp cacao powder
- 60 ml (1⁄4 cup) coconut oil
- 2 tbsp peanut butter
- 3 Medjool dates, stoned (pitted)
For the coating
- 200 g (7 oz) dark chocolate bar,
- 90% or 70% cocoa solids
For the toppings
- chopped hazelnuts
- dried flower petals (for special occasions)
- Place the hazelnuts in a small blender and blitz until you get a flour-like consistency. Then pulse until the mix becomes slightly sticky. Add in the rest of the ingredients and blitz until you get a sticky, fine mixture.
- Spoon out bite-sized portions of the mixture, place one whole hazelnut in the middle and wrap around it to form a ball, then place on a plate lined with greaseproof paper (wax paper). Do this until you have around 10 bite-sized balls, then place them in the fridge to set for 10–15 minutes.
- In the meantime, break the chocolate into a bain-marie – place a heatproof bowl over a saucepan with some boiling water in the bottom, but without the bowl touching the water, then cook, stirring occasionally, until it has melted. Remove the bowl from the pan.
- Line a chopping board or plate with greaseproof paper (wax paper), get the balls out of the fridge and gently dip and roll them in the melted chocolate until fully covered. Place the chocolate-covered balls on the paper and top with chopped hazelnuts and some dried flower petals. Place in the fridge to set.
Recipe and Images Courtesy of Bettina’s Kitchen