For the Brownies:
- 100g (1 cup) old fashioned rolled oats
- 1x400g tin of chickpeas – liquid included (known as aqua faba)
- 120ml (1/2 cup) dairy-free milk of choice
- 30ml (1/8 cup) canola oil
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 50g (1/2 cup) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 25g (1/4 cup) cornstarch
- 70g (1/4 cup + 1 tbsp) granulated sugar
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
For the Icing:
- 150g (1 cup)hazelnuts
- 60ml (1/4 cup) agave syrup
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 120ml (1/2 cup) dairy-free yogurt, plain
- Preheat the oven to 165°C (Gas Mark 3, 325°F) and grease or line with baking paper an 8 X 8 inch square pan.
- For the brownies: in a food processor or blender, add the oats and the whole can of chickpeas (liquid included). Blend until completely smooth.
- Add to it the milk, oil, apple cider vinegar, and vanilla extract. Blend just until incorporated.
- In a large bowl, add the cocoa powder, cornstarch, sweetener, baking powder and soda, and salt. Whisk to combine.
- Add the chickpea mixture to the dry ingredients and stir together until incorporated.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan. Bake for 28-29 min. or until a toothpick inserted into the center has a little wet dough on it, but no crumbs.
- For the icing: while the brownies are baking, add the hazelnuts, agave, oil, sugar, and salt to a food processor or blender. Blend until completely smooth, scraping the sides as needed.
- Transfer the smooth mixture to a large bowl and add the yogurt. Whisk with an electric mixer or wire whisk until fully incorporated and a little fluffier (about 1 min with an electric mixer).
- Place the frosting in the fridge to thicken up for at least 1 hour.
- Allow the brownies to cool completely before frosting. Then, spread the thickened frosting on top of the brownies.
- You can also garnish with more chopped hazelnuts or chocolate bits, slice up, and enjoy!
Recipe from Healthy Hacks