Make a vegan-friendly treat for the Easter season with this recipe for a batch of rich and fruity hot cross buns.
- 350g strong bread flour
- 1 ½ tsp ground mixed spice
- 1 ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 sachet easy–blend yeast
- 25g caster sugar
- 100g currants
- 50g mixed peel
- 75g vegan margarine, melted
- 175ml soya milk, warmed, plus a little extra to glaze
- 50g plain flour
- 25g vegan margarine
- 1 – 2 tbsp water to bind
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp of freshly squeezed orange juice
- Mix the yeast and sugar together in a small bowl and then gradually add the warm soya milk. Leave for approximately 5 minutes.
- Sift the flour, mixed spice and cinnamon into a large bowl and make a well in the centre. Add the yeast mixture into the well and stir until combined. Then add the currants, mixed peel and margarine and mix together well until a dough forms.
- Take the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for approximately 10 minutes.
- Place the dough back into the large bowl and cover with a tea towel or some cling film. Place this in a warm place for approximately 2 – 2½ hours or until the dough has doubled in size.
- Take the dough back out of the bowl onto a lightly floured surface and knead again for approximately 5 minutes.
- Split the dough into 12 equal pieces in the required shape, place onto a baking sheet and cover with a tea towel or cling film again. Put in a warm place for approximately 45 minutes to an hour.
- To make the crosses, place the margarine and flour into a bowl and rub the margarine into the flour until the mixture looks like breadcrumbs. Add the water a little at a time to bind the pastry dough together. Roll out the pastry quite thinly and cut into even strips.
- Once the buns have risen, heat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4. Place the pastry crosses onto the buns and lightly brush the surface with some soya milk. Bake for 20 minutes.
- To make the orange glaze, put the sugar and orange juice into a pan and gently heat until the sugar dissolves. Brush onto the buns once cooked and serve.