Gravy doesn’t need to have meat drippings in it to taste savory and delicious!
PREP TIME 10 minutes
COOK TIME 10 minutes
TOTAL TIME 20 minutes
SERVINGS 1 cup
- 2 C mushrooms, minced
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 shallot, minced (can substitute 1/4 C white onion)
- 1 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tbsp vegan butter
- 1/3 C rice flour (can sub all-purpose flour)
- 1 1/2 C low-sodium vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 2 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce or tamari
- 2 tsp molasses
- 3/4 C water
- Heat coconut oil in large saucepan over medium heat and stir in the mushrooms and shallots (or onion). After 5 minutes, stir in the garlic and let brown for another 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a smaller pan prepare a roux which is done by melting vegan butter and gradually adding in the flour. Stir the mixture over medium-low heat for 2 to 3 minutes until thickened and then set aside.
- Go back to your browned mushroom pan and gradually add in low-sodium vegetable stock. This will help lift up all of the delicious brown bits stuck to the bottom of the pan. Add the roux mixture to the pan stirring with a whisk and reduce to low heat.
- Whisk in onion powder, low-sodium soy sauce/tamari, and molasses. Then slowly incorporate the water, about a 1/4 cup at a time, until the desired consistency is achieved.
Recipe from: www.hotforfoodblog.com