Who doesn’t like to cosy up with a mug of hot chocolate on a cold evening, or morning for that matter? This version has a chilli kick and the added bonus of keeping as much goodness as possible in one cupful.
Makes 2 small cups or 1 large
- 80 g (3 oz / 1⁄2 cup) blanched (skinless) almonds (soaked for 30 minutes)
- 500 ml (2 generous cups) water
- 3 tbsp cacao powder
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- pinch of chilli powder
- pinch of salt
- 1 vanilla pod (bean)
- Add all the ingredients into a high-speed blender, including the vanilla pod. (I usually just chuck it in whole and chop it up, I don’t bother taking out the seeds inside as I think it’s a bit of a waste of the pod.)
- Blitz until you have a lovely milky, frothy chocolate consistency, then pour the mixture into a small saucepan.
- Slowly heat the mixture with a whisk until it reaches the temperature you would like.
Recipe and Images Courtesy of Bettina’s Kitchen