Hotbox Cabbage & Pulled Mushrooms
Recipe by Derek Sarno of Wicked Healthy
Chef – Director of Plant-Based Innovation for Tesco PLC, and Developer/Co-Founder of Wicked Kitchen, Wicked Foods & Co-Founder of Gathered Foods
- 2 Cone Cabbages
- 6 King Oyster Mushrooms
- BBQ Rub (Wicked Kitchen Hot N’ Spicy BBQ Rub)
- Togarashi Spice (Wicked Kitchen Sesame Togarashi Spice Blend)
- Sage, Onion & Garlic Seasoning (Wicked Kitchen Sage, Onion & Garlic Seasoning)
- Teriyaki Sauce (Wicked Kitchen Spicy Teriyaki Sauce)
- BBQ Sauce (Wicked Kitchen Asian Style BBQ Sauce)
- Fresh Coriander
- Preheat oven to 200c (fan) 400 (convection).
- Lightly coat both cabbages with oil (use your hands) dust BBQ spice to cover entire outer cabbage. Place in dutch oven and cover. Cook in oven between 45-60 minutes.
- Shred the mushrooms by running a fork along the fibres, away from the cap. Pull apart with fingers and place in a large bowl.
- Heat medium size skillet on med-high heat until hot.
- Add little oil, add mushroom shreds. Cook for 10-15 minutes, until the edges begin to crisp.
- Season with Sesame Togarashi and Sage, Onion, Garlic seasoning. Stir through and pop in the oven for 10-15 minutes. Remove from oven when done and Transfer mushrooms to a bowl and mix in Teriyaki Sauce. Place mushrooms on one half of a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Carefully remove cabbage from oven after 45 mins, remove lid and pop back in the oven for 10 more minutes. Remove cabbages from dutch oven and cut into inch-thick steaks and place beside pulled mushrooms on baking sheet. Lather BBQ sauce over the cabbage steaks.
- Re-heat tray for 10 minutes before serving.
- Serve up with our Wicked Veg Board and a little fresh Coriander.
Globally recognized for his innovative approach to bold-flavored, chef-driven plant-based cuisine, Derek helps lead Tesco’s plant-based team and the initiative to bring delicious, unpretentious vegan/plant-based foods to the mainstream market.
Derek and his brother Chad are the pioneering chefs and co-founders of Wicked Healthy, LLC., Wicked Foods Inc. and Gathered Foods, makers of the skyrocketing Good Catch plant-based seafood line. These brands are the real-world expression of the brothers’ personal mission to make a difference in the lives of humans and animals globally through more sustainable and flavor-forward plant-based meal solutions.
Prior to Tesco, Derek served as the Senior Global Executive Chef for Whole Foods Market, where he oversaw global recipe development for the company’s healthy eating initiative, worked with suppliers and leadership to develop and promote plant-based foods across the organization, and served as Culinary Director for the Whole Foods Academy for Conscious Leadership.
Derek is a serial entrepreneur, founding several award-winning restaurants and food service companies in the United States. Derek also served as resident Chef & Gardener at a Tibetan Buddhist monastery and retreat center in upstate New York. During his three years at the monastery, Derek grew and cooked the meals and learned how to sit quietly. This time helped him become less of a jerk.
Born in New England, Derek is the co-author of The Whole Foods Cookbook and The Wicked Healthy Cookbook. He is credited with developing pioneering culinary techniques that utilize mushrooms as a meaty alternative to animal protein, showcased in his hugely popular cooking videos, which have generated more than 2.5 million views.