These cute Halloween peppers are packed with protein and colourful veggies, making them the perfect, fun tea time meal for kids.
- 6 large orange or yellow peppers
- 190g (1 cup) smoked quinoa, we used Hodmedods
- 480ml (2 cups) water
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 1 tsp sea salt flakes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 260g tin no added sugar sweetcorn, drained
- 400g tin black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas 4. Cut the tops off the peppers and remove the cores and seeds. Using a sharp knife, cut holes in the peppers to resemble faces. Slice off the very bottoms of the peppers to help them stay upright when stuffed.
- Place the quinoa in a pan and add the water, stock cube and salt. Bring to a simmer and allow to cook for 25 minutes or until nearly all the water has been absorbed. Turn off the heat and leave to stand for 10 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and add the onion. Stir fry for a few minutes until starting to soften before adding the garlic, sweetcorn, beans, smoked paprika. Stir well to combine and season well.
- Arrange the peppers in a baking dish and spoon the quinoa into the cavities. Replace the lids and bake for 20 minutes, until softened but not collapsing. Serve warm.
Per serving (179g) Calories: 221, Carbohydrates: 32g, Sugars: 8g, Salt: 0.36g, Fat: 4.3g, Saturates: 0.6g, Protein: 9.7g
Taken from October 2018 (Issue 43) Vegan Life Magazine