- 10-12 large green chillies, halved lengthways and de-seeded
- 1 small brown onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 75g (3/4 cup) unsalted cashews
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp sea salt flakes
- 1 tbsp American yellow mustard
- 120ml (1/2 cup) vegetable stock
- 90g (1 cup) panko breadcrumbs
- Olive oil, a little for frying
- Preheat your oven to 180°C (Gas Mark 4, 350°F) and lightly grease a baking sheet with oil. Arrange the halved chillies, cut side up, on the tray ready to be filled.
- Place the cashews in a small bowl and cover with boiling water. Set aside to soak for 15 minutes.
- Heat a small splash of oil in a frying pan and add the onion and garlic with
a pinch of salt. Gently cook until the onions have softened and the garlic is fragrant but not coloured.
- Drain the cashews and add them to a blender along with the onion and garlic, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, mustard, salt and stock. Blend until very smooth, scraping down the sides of the blender to ensure everything is incorporated.
- Use the cashew cheese to fill the chillies and top each one with breadcrumbs. Transfer to the hot oven and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until golden.
Top Tip: This recipe will make more filling than you need for this recipe, but any leftover can be used as a spread, dip or to top nachos.
Per 100g Calories: 282, Carbohydrates: 26.0g, Sugars: 4.0g, Fat: 14.0g, Saturates: 2.6g, Protein: 11.0g, Salt: 2.0g
Taken from June 2018 (Issue 39) Vegan Life Magazine