Delicious vegan baking recipe for Lemon Blackberry Squares from Mellissa Morgan from London-based Ms Cupcake.
- 100g (1 cup) plain flour (self-raising is fine if that’s all you have)
- 50g (¼ cup) brown or demerara sugar
- 50g (¼ cup) dairy free margarine
- 450g (4 cups) self-raising flour
- 225g (1 cup) caster sugar (or coconut sugar)
- Zest 2 lemons
- ⅓ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 300ml (1 ¼ cups) soya milk (or another plant based milk)
- 200ml (¾ cup) sunflower oil (or other flavourless oil)
- 75ml (⅓ cup) lemon juice
- 100g (¾ cup) blackberries, halved (frozen is fine)
- First, liberally grease (or line with baking paper) a 33cm x 23cm (13in x 9in) cake tin and set aside. Preheat the oven to 180°C (Gas Mark 4, 350°F).
- Next make the crumble. In a bowl, mix together the flour, sugar and margarine using a spoon or your hands until you have a lumpy crumble (I like a lot of crumble, so feel free to double the quantities to make extra to go on top!) and set aside.
- Next, in a separate bowl, mix flour, sugar, lemon zest and bicarbonate of soda. Combine well.
- Add vanilla extract, soya milk, oil and lemon juice to the dry ingredients and stir well. Spoon the mix into the prepared tin.
- Lightly push the blackberries evenly around in the pan and sprinkle the crumble mixture on top evenly across the batter.
- Bake for about 30 minutes and remove from oven onto a wire rack to cool inside the tin.
- Cool for at least 20 minutes before digging in
TIP: Try this recipe using other fruits. Lime and blueberry is another one of my favourite combos!
Ms. Cupcake is a vegan bakery based in Brixton, London. You can find out more by visiting their website: mscupcake.co.uk