LEMON BLACKBERRY SQUARE BY MELLISSA MORGAN AKA MS CUPCAKE
• 100g (1 cup) plain flour (self-raising is fine if that’s all you have)
• 50g (¼ cup) brown or demerara sugar
• 50g (¼ cup) dairy free margarine
• 450g (4 cups) self-raising flour
• 225g (1 cup) caster sugar (or coconut sugar)
• Zest 2 lemons
• ⅓ tsp bicarbonate of soda
• 1 tsp vanilla extract
• 300ml (1 ¼ cups) soya milk (or another plant based milk)
• 200ml (¾ cup) sunflower oil (or other flavourless oil)
• 75ml (⅓ cup) lemon juice
• 100g (¾ cup) blackberries, halved (frozen is fine)
1 First, liberally grease (or line with baking paper) a 33cm x 23cm (13in x 9in) cake tin and set aside. Preheat the oven to 180°C (Gas Mark 4, 350°F).
2 Next make the crumble. In a bowl, mix together the flour, sugar and
margarine using a spoon or your hands until you have a lumpy crumble (I like a lot of crumble, so feel free to double the quantities to make extra to go on top!) and set aside.
3 Next, in a separate bowl, mix flour, sugar, lemon zest and bicarbonate of soda. Combine well.
4 Add vanilla extract, soya milk, oil and lemon juice to the dry ingredients and stir well. Spoon the mix into the prepared tin.
5 Lightly push the blackberries evenly around in the pan and sprinkle the crumble mixture on top evenly across the batter.
6 Bake for about 30 minutes and remove from oven onto a wire rack to cool inside the tin.
7 Cool for at least 20 minutes before digging in.
TIP: Try this recipe using other fruits. Lime and blueberry is another one of my favourite combos!