For the almond crust:
- 50g (½ cup) oats
- 70g (½ cup) almonds
- A pinch salt
- ¼ tsp Ndali vanilla powder
- 1 tbsp raw sugar
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
For the lemon coconut filling:
- 130g (1/2 cup) firm tofu
- 4 tbsp coconut cream (scooped out of a can of full fat coconut milk chilled overnight)
- 115ml (½ cup) raw sugar or agave nectar or maple syrup
- 2 tbsp lemon zest
- 60ml (¼ cup) lemon juice
- A pinch salt
- 4 tsp arrowroot powder
- A pinch turmeric powder, for colour
- Coconut flakes or chips, for topping
- For the crust, grind together oats, almonds, vanilla powder, sugar and salt till evenly ground.
- Transfer to a mixing bowl, add in maple syrup and coconut oil and mix well to combine. If the mixture if crumbly or dry, add more coconut oil.
- Transfer the mixture to a small baking dish lined with baking paper. Press down firmly and evenly.
- Bake the crust in an oven preheated to 180ºC (Gas Mark 4, 350°F) for 12-15 minutes or until golden.
- To the make filling, blend all the ingredients except coconut flakes/chips together till smooth.
- Strain and pour the lemon-coconut filling over the prepared crust and tap the tin firmly on the counter to remove air bubbles. Gently top the filling with coconut flakes.
- Bake once again for about 25-30 minutes until the filling mixture is just set. To prevent the coconut from browning too much, keep the top heat setting in your oven off. Once baked, it will be sort of dry around the edges and wiggly in the center.
- Remove and cool completely. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour or preferably overnight to set properly before slicing.
Per 100g Calories: 272, Carbohydrates: 17.0g, Sugars: 6.0g, Fat: 18.0g, Saturates: 6.3g, Protein: 9.5g, Salt: 0.27g
Taken from May 2018 (Issue 38) Vegan Life Magazine