Try livening up your tofu with your own marinade with this recipe for lemon herb baked tofu, taken from issue 8 of Vegan Life Magazine
- 1 packet extra firm tofu
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp pure maple syrup
- ¾ tsp Himalayan/sea salt
- A few generous sprinkles lemon pepper/pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- Zest of ½ lemon
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1 sprig fresh oregano
- 2 sage leaves, finely diced
- 1-2 wedges lemon
- A squirt of lemon juice
- A small sprinkle mixed fresh herbs (rosemary, thyme, oregano, sage)
- Open the packet of tofu and drain out all the water. Give it a little rinse and squeeze as much water as you can from inside the tofu. Sometimes, it requires several squeezes. Once it’s looking dry enough, use some paper towels to press down to suck away more water.
- Slice the tofu into small, thin rectangles and let them dry a bit more.
- In a small bowl, combine the lemon juice, olive oil, maple syrup, salt, lemon pepper/pepper and garlic. Use a grater to get the zest (skin) from half a lemon. The zest should be so finely minced that it doesn’t take shape. Chop the garlic into very fine mince and add it in as well, then get all the herbs, remove the leaves from the stem and put it in the marinade. With the sage leaves, be sure to dice them up finely.
- Carefully place all the tofu in a shallow dish or bowl and drizzle the marinade over it, toss and turn it around so the tofu is well coated. Leave it marinating for about 30 minutes to an hour.
- Preheat oven to 150°C (300°F) about 20 minutes before you are going to bake them.
- Spray an oven tray with non-stick cooking oil and align the tofu pieces on the tray side by side. Then, drizzle the remaining marinade over the tofu.
- Bake in the oven for about 40 minutes on one side, then take it off and flip all the tofu over (yes, that may take a while). At that stage, one side should be golden. Bake the other side for another 40 minutes until both sides are golden brown, and the tofu should be now very firm and chewy.
- Spoon it into a plate and garnish with some chopped lemon wedges, some lemon juice and mixed fresh herbs.
Recipe and image from divinehealthyfood.com