These aromatic lime and turmeric tofu steaks with fresh sambal make for a great addition to a vegan Summer barbecue!
- 600g (1 lb 5 oz) firm tofu
- 60ml (2 fl oz/¼ cup) lime juice
- 60ml (2 floz/¼ cup) grapeseed oil
- ¼ tsp ground turmeric
- Lime cheeks (quarters), to serve
- 1 tsp vegetable stock (bouillon) powder
- 2 kaffir lime leaves, thinly sliced
- 2 lemongrass stems, pale part only, finely chopped
- 2 bird’s eye chillies, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp finely chopped red Asian shallots
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- Combine the sambal ingredients in a bowl and stir until the stock powder has dissolved. Cover and set aside for 30 minutes, or refrigerate overnight.
- Cut the tofu into four equal portions. Place in a flat dish in a single layer.
- Combine the lime juice, grapeseed oil and turmeric in a bowl and stir until the turmeric has dissolved and the oil is vibrantly coloured. Pour the marinade over the tofu and turn to coat all over. Set aside for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the barbecue grill to high.
- Cook the tofu for 2–3 minutes on each side, or until heated through and slightly crusty. Serve warm, with the sambal spooned over and lime cheeks on the side.
Recipe and image from Fired Up Vegetarian by Ross Dobson (Murdoch Books £14.99) Photography: Brett Stevens & Nicky Ryan