Linda McCartney’s and Big Easy have created the ultimate in vegan dining with the launch of the brand new Linda McCartney’s X Big Easy Texan Vegan Corn ‘Not Dog’.
Made using Linda McCartney’s Vegetarian Sausages, the new Big Easy Texan Vegan Corn ‘Not Dog’ is inspired by the classic Corn Dog from the Texas State Fairs of the 1940s. Taking seriously succulent vegetarian sausages, dipped in corn batter and deep-fried to a golden brown, fully loaded with smoky BBQ sauce, tangy chilli jam and topped with crispy onions in a soft bun. Lip-smacking taste, that’s 100% vegan.
Makes 2 double size hot dogs
- 4 Linda McCartney’s Vegetarian Sausages
- 2 Large hot dog buns
Corn Flour Batter
- 75g Plain Flour
- 45g Yellow Cornmeal
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- 1/2 tbsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tbsp Vegan Egg Replacer
- 1 tbsp water
- 125ml Oat Milk
- Sunflower oil
For the seasoned flour
- 50g Plain Flour
- 1 tsp Cayenne Seasoning
- 1 tsp Paprika Seasoning
- Pinch of salt & Pepper
- 1 Sliced White Onion
- 2 tbsp Old Bay Seasoning
- 100g Plain Flour
- 1 tbsp fresh coriander, finely chopped
- Chilli Jam
- Vegan Barbeque sauce
- Firstly, make the Corn Dog batter by combining the plain flour, yellow cornmeal, sugar and baking powder in a large bowl. Then add in the egg replacer with the water and gradually mix in the oat milk until you get a smooth batter.
- Next, make your seasoned flour by mixing together the plain flour, cayenne, paprika, salt & pepper in a bowl. Roll the Linda McCartney’s Vegetarian Sausages in the seasoned plain flour to cover the full sausages. Set aside to cook later
- Next make your tobacco onions, by thinly slicing an onion into half-moon shapes and tossing them well in plain flour and Old Bay seasoning.
- In a large pot over medium heat, add enough sunflower oil to come halfway up the sides and heat to 170c. Dip the Linda McCartney’s Vegetarian Sausages into the corn batter mix and then fry in the oil until golden brown – around 5 minutes. Ensure you turn the sausages throughout cooking to ensure an even cook and golden colour. Once cooked, remove the sausage from the oil and place on kitchen towel to absorb excess oil
- While the corn dogs are resting, cook your tobacco onions. Use the same pan of oil as you did for the sausages and add the onion mixture to the oil and deep fry until golden brown – around 4 minutes. Remove from the oil and drain.
- Serve two Linda McCartney’s Corn Not Dogs in each of your hot dog buns, topped with crispy Tobacco onions, Chilli Jam and Barbeque sauce, Garnish with fresh coriander. Enjoy!
Created by the experts in all-out American dining Big Easy, as a challenge from Linda McCartney’s, they have taken on the icon of the hot dog, making it meat-free.
Linda McCartney paved the way almost 30 years ago for today’s vegetarian movement. As the original meat-free pioneer, she inspired a generation and her legacy continues to reach far and wide today, with vegetarian and vegan eating fast becoming a norm.
Check out Instagram for more delicious inspiration: @lindamccartneyfoods or visit lindamccartneyfoods.co.uk