Make your own needle felted pocket hug
Natasha Zierhofer, owner of Bamboozles Needle Felts, shares her tutorial on crafting a needle felted pocket hug
The wonderful art of needle felting is traditionally done with wool – but passionate vegan, Natasha Zierhofer, has found a way to enjoy the craft as a vegan, using acrylic yarn instead. Read Natasha’s story in the May issue of Vegan Life magazine.
Here, Natasha shares a beautifully simple craft that’s great to send to friends and family that you can’t see or hug right now, due to Coronavirus restrictions.
You will need:
- Multi-coloured yarn (100 per cent acrylic)
- Size 38-star needle felting needle
- Bath sponge
- 2x large pet slicker brushes
- Black felt-tip pen
- Face mask
- Needle felting handle (either single or multiple needles) (optional)
- 2 or 3 silicone finger protectors (optional)
- Iron (optional)
- To begin, cut the yarn thread into small pieces, separating by colour (image 3). I recommend wearing a face mask for the following as the fibres tend to go everywhere.
- Spread a thin layer of the yarn pieces in one of the brushes (image 4) and begin carding them by brushing with the other brush in the opposite direction (image 5). Do this thoroughly and then remove the fibres from the brushes and start mixing them with your hands, separating small bits that did not card properly and repeating the procedure until very fluffy. Make sure you remove everything off the brushes before you move to another colour. Repeat with all the colours (image 6).
- Place the fibres on top of the sponge, roughly forming the shape of a heart. Holding the needle vertically, begin lightly stabbing the fibres, (image 7) shaping around the edges. Then keep adding more of the fibres on top, (filling in the gaps between the colours to merge them) and keep stabbing. Keep lifting the fibres from the sponge to prevent them from getting stuck.
- Keep adding fibres to the desired thickness and stab them until it becomes quite firm and solid. Cut around the edges to improve the heart shape (image 8).
- To write on your heart creation, keep dabbing the letters with your pen, then stab on top of them (image 9). For sharp edges, carefully press your iron around the heart edges. And that is it! You now have a beautiful vegan needle felted pocket hug to send to your family and friends during lockdown.
By Natasha Zierhofer, owner of Bamboozles Needle Felts
Find Natasha in the May issue of Vegan Life magazine, on sale this week.