Tea cakes with a twist! Try using matcha for a more sophisticated flavour to your traditional vegan cupcakes, topped with matcha frosting.
- 175g caster sugar
- Vegan egg replacer equivalent to 2 eggs
- 175g self-raising flour
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- 4 tsp matcha green tea powder
- 125ml rapeseed oil
- 125ml rice milk
- 70g vegan margarine
- 70g vegetable shortening
- 600g icing sugar
- 2 tsp matcha green tea powder
- 4 tbsp rice milk
- 25g shelled pistachios
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4. Line a 12-hole cupcake tin with paper cases.
- Beat the sugar and egg replacer together until frothy.
- Sieve the flour, baking powder and matcha green tea powder into a large mixing bowl.
- Put the oil and rice milk into a large jug and stir with a metal spoon. Pour onto the dry ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- Divide the mixture between the paper cases and bake for 25 minutes until a skewer inserted into the centre of a cake comes out clean. Transfer to a wire rack to cool before icing.
- For the green tea frosting, put the vegan margarine, vegetable shortening, matcha green tea powder and icing sugar into a large mixing bowl and cream together. Gradually beat in the rice milk. Decorate each cake with a generous swirl of frosting and a sprinkle of nuts.