Almond Butter Mince Pies
- 240g (2 cups) ground almonds (alternatively can also use flour)
- 3 heaped tbsp Meridian Smooth Almond Butter
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp bicarbonateof soda
- Pinch salt
- Splash of coconut milk
- 1 jar Meridian Mince Pie Filling
- Start by preheating your oven to 170C/325F/Gas 3
- In a mixing bowl, stir together the ground almonds, bicarbonate of soda and salt
- In a saucepan, gently melt together the almond butter and maple syrup until smooth. Stir.
- Stir together the almond butter mixture with the ground almond mixture until it starts to come together. Add a splash of coconut milk – 1 tsp at a time, stirring in between each addition – until the mixture comes together into a smooth dough (we needed 1.5 tbsp).
- Chill the dough for 20 minutes until it’s firm enough to handle. Take 3/4 of the dough to make the pastry cases, setting aside the remainder of the dough for the stars on top.
- Between two sheets of baking paper, roll out your dough. Use round cookie cutters to cut out 12 rounds of dough. Press the dough into muffin tins (we used a silicone muffin pan), ensuring you press it up the sides. Place in the oven to bake for 8-10 minutes, or until lightly golden
- In the meantime, roll out your remaining dough and cut out 12 stars using cutters.
- Remove pastry from the oven and spoon in your mince pie filling (1 heaped tsp per pie). Top with the stars and brush each with a coating of coconut milk
- Place back in the oven to bake for a further 10-12 minutes, or until golden. Allow to cool, then eat and enjoy!
Recipe and Images Courtesy of Meridian Foods