Mexican Vegetable Chilli with Spicy Kale Crisps
This Veganuary, the team at Discover Great Veg have put together some tasty vegan dishes to enjoy during January to ensure that you’re never out of ideas.
- 250g bag kale
- 2 tbsp chilli oil
- 1 onion, chopped (200g)
- 1 red pepper, diced (180g)
- 1 tsp mild chilli powder
- 400g tin kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato puree (25g)
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- Cooked rice, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6.
- Place 100g kale in a large bowl, removing any thick stalks, toss in 1 tbsp oil and season. Spread out onto a large baking tray and bake for 10-12 minutes until crispy but not too browned.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining oil in a large frying pan and fry the onion and pepper for 4-5 minutes. Add the chilli powder and cook for 1 minute. Stir in the kidney beans, tomatoes, tomato puree and stock cube. Add 150ml water and bring to the boil. Simmer, covered for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the remaining kale and cook for a further 5 minutes, covered then season.
- Top with the kale crisps and serve with cooked rice.
Cooks tip: Use hot chilli powder for a spicy kick.
Recipes and images courtesy of Discover Great Veg