A brand-new survey has discovered that 60 percent of vegans dream of a partner who is vegan. Despite 60.5 percent of respondents previously having been or currently in a relationship with a meat eater, 45 percent of vegans stated that they’ve experienced suffering due to their spouses’ meat consumption.

The research, conducted by German Online-Dating-Agency,gleichklang.de, and the German spoken vegan lifestyle portal vegan.eu, was carried out to discover the romantic attitudes between vegans and meat eaters, and is the largest survey worldwide of its kind.
Over 5,000 vegans between the age of 18 and 83 took part in the survey, which also discovered that 74 percent always hoped that their meat eating spouse would become a vegan. 51 percent of respondents admitted that they’d actively tried to convince their partner to stop eating non-vegan food.

In terms of the quality of the relationships, vegan-vegan relationships came out on top, followed by vegan-vegetarian relationships, with vegan-meat-eater relationships reporting the lowest relationship quality.

It seems that meat eaters in a relationship with a vegan do take steps to improve relationship satisfaction, with 78 percent stating that they’ve reduced their meat consumption, and 53 percent admitting they’ve stop eating meat completely when at home.

It was also revealed that female vegans are more likely to enter into a romantic relationship with a meat eating spouse than male vegans (64 percent versus 41 percent). However, the main reasons for these findings appear to be that there are far more female vegans than male vegans. In this survey, 83 percent of the participants were female. This conforms to similar findings in other surveys and studies on vegans.

When it comes to attitudes towards meat consumption, vegans who chose the vegan diet because of health reasons had less of an issue with a spouse who eats meat than vegans who chose the vegan diet out of a concern for animals. The highest rate of problems was reported by ethical vegans who were actively involved in the propagation of the vegan lifestyle to reduce animal suffering.

When discussing the results of the study, Psychologist Dr Guido F. Gebauer, commented: “It can be helpful for vegans to seek a vegan spouse. The choice of a vegan spouse can improve relationship satisfaction and reduce conflicts, especially if the vegan lifestyle is deeply related to the moral conviction that it is wrong to kill and eat animals.

“However, when a spouse that eats meat shows the willingness to reduce meat consumption, a romantic relationship between a vegan and a person who eats meat can be satisfactory as well.”

7 Comments

1. Anne on April 28, 2019 at 7:44 pm

Eating less meat is not endearing… eating meat is abhorrent and upsetting for me as as vegan. My boyfriend eats meat and it disgusts me. It really does make me feel depressed

2. Jessica Urquhart on May 8, 2019 at 9:52 am

I am vegetarian (Lacto-vegetarian) because I dislike the smell, taste and texture of meat, as well as my concern for animal welfare and the environment. My partner is omnivore, and eats a lot of meat, sometimes meals entirely of meat. When our relationship began, I didn’t feel I had an issue with this. However, as time goes on, I find it increasingly difficult to be in a relationship with him. I feel sick when I smell or see any meat or egg. It makes my stomach churn, and I begin to feel nauseous. I even sleep in a different bed when he has eaten a big meal of meat because it’s all I can smell. There is a lack of intimacy as a repercussion. I feel it is inevitably going to end our relationship.

3. Sanne on September 30, 2019 at 9:05 pm

Reading the other 2 comments here i feel sad but less alone.
    I stumbled upon this article because I google-searched: vegans and non vegans in a relationship. Simply because I wondered if it will ever really work long term. I am 21 and met my boyfriend (35 yo) 3 years ago. A month before we met I actually decided to become vegetarian and just this week, after also already skipping milk for about a year, I am considering living the full on vegan lifestyle. When I first met my boyfriend I was so in love that I was not really put off by his life style choices or anything he did for that matter. But now we have been together for a while and are going to move in together soon. I am slowly start to get more and more upset and frustrated when I see him enjoying a steak for example,especially one thats coming from the farm industry. He is saying to me he is trying to make different choices (eating less meat,organic meat and milk etc), whenever I tell him I am hurt by the thought what this animal had to go trough and I dislike it so much, I would rather have him not eat meat in my presence. But his actions show otherwise. It seems like he does not truly care and this kind of makes me sad. I don’t really want us to break up, but I get triggered each time.

What to do?

• Vegan’s wife on January 13, 2020 at 12:10 am

I hope all these vegan folks left their partners for good. We don’t want you to be convincing us! I have been married to a vegan, and it is a living hell. He turned vegan a few years into our marriage for ethical reasons. The judgements I get is so enormous, and I don’t know why he’s still living with me. We’ve been together for 20 years. Do vegan people like to feel superior by torturing us grateful omnivores? Just don’t come near us! Please!

• Vegan's Husband on May 10, 2020 at 7:51 am

My wife is a vegan, and I agree, it is hell. I am very supportive of her lifestyle choice, but she does not return the favor as she is incredibly judgmental and controlling when it comes to me eating meat. I’ve gone vegan for long stretches of time, it’s not for me. Mainly because I have a high metabolism and lose way too much weight. I also wake up starving in the middle of the night on a regular basis. When I eat meat I feel better, sleep better, I’m more focused, have more energy, not to mention I love the food and enjoy connecting with people through food. She does not want me cooking any animal products at home, we’ve agreed on a compromise of me having my own crockpot only and utensils, or the meat has to be pre-cooked. She doesn’t want any animal products touching the utensils she uses to cook vegan food. We haven’t been invited to a dinner party in years, it really sucks. When I eat meat in front of her she looks disgusted and tries to make me feel guilty about it. If you’re vegan and have a non-vegan parter, please respect their decision and let them do their thing, they will love you for it. We (mostly me) struggle with it every day, and argue often, I’m really tired of it.

• Vegan on August 23, 2020 at 10:47 pm

It’s likely because he has lost his cognitive dissonance, which means he sees the animals you eat as individuals. To understand his experience, try and imagine keeping your cool at a dinner where everyone else was eating a Labrador retriever that had been raised in a cage and killed as a puppy, and acting as if it was completely normal. Then, imagine going through that mental pain every day. I think Tom Chatfield is right when he wrote for the BBC that future generations will judge us based on how we treat animals. It’s just food: in the western world we have unprecedented choice about what to eat. Why would you choose to eat animals?

4. Debbie Hoffman on April 11, 2020 at 2:44 am

Vegans are superior beings but must understand that not everybody has evolved to our level and continue to justify eating animals slaughtered for their personal enjoyment and because they are too lazy to go to plant sources for nutritional needs. I have family members who continue to eat meat but you dont choose your family and I will always love them A life partner however is a choice, make it wisely or you will suffer every day seeing dead animals in your fridge, frying pan, oven and garbage. Even if your partner makes an effort to eat less meat because of you, you are not being a true vegan if your partner does not have them same beliefs about animals. Listen to your heart