- 205g (1 ⅓ cup) frozen garden peas
- 1 onion
- 3 celery stalks
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 160g (1 ¼ cup) spinach leaves
- 100g (½ cup) kale, chopped and large stalks removed
- 235g (3 cups) pre-cooked
- 250ml (generous 1 cup) vegetable stock
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- Dollop non-dairy yoghurt, optional
- Fresh herbs and seeds, optional
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Slice the onion and celery and sauté in a pan with the olive oil and a bit of salt and pepper until soft. Add the garlic and cook for a further minute. Add in the kale and cook until softened, approximately 5 minutes.
- Stir in the stock, bring it to a simmer and then add in the frozen peas and cannellini beans. Let sit for 4-5 minutes until the peas are thawed but not over-cooked (they’ll lose their vibrant green).
- Start to transfer the soup mixture into a blender (make sure it’s not piping hot), adding the spinach leaves, and blend in batches. The spinach will cook in the residual heat of the soup and retain its fresh green colour.
- Taste and season the soup and serve in a warmed bowl with a dollop of dairy free yoghurt, fresh herbs and seeds.
Recipe: Francesca Klottrup, chef and nutritionist who leads the Vegan Natural Chef Diploma Training at CNM (College of Naturopathic Medicine). naturopathy-uk.com
Photograph: Juliet Klottrup