This decadent, creamy cheesecake is contrasted beautifully by juicy, ripe plums. It’s worth trying to find in-season Victoria plums for the best flavour, but any variety will work well in this recipe.
For the pastry:
- 250g (2¼ cups) plain gluten-free flour
- 75g (2/3 cup) icing sugar, sifted
- 110g (1/2 cup) dairy-free butter
- Pinch salt
- 1-2 tsp cold water
For the filling:
- 150g (2/3 cup) dairy-free butter, melted
- 150g (3/4 cup) caster sugar
- 150g (1¼ cup) ground almonds
- 100g (7/8 cup) plain gluten free flour, sifted
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves, chopped
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 100ml (1/4 cup) unsweetened soya milk
- 2 tsp white wine vinegar
- 1-2 small ripe pears, quartered, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp smooth apricot jam, warmed
- 1 tbsp flaked almonds
- Icing sugar, for dusting
- Put the all pastry ingredients, apart from the water, into a bowl. Rub together with your fingers until fine breadcrumbs are formed, and then bring together into a dough. Add 1-2 teaspoons cold water to loosen the dough and continue to bring together for another minute. Set the dough into the fridge for 15-20 minutes to chill.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/ Gas 6.
- Roll out the pastry and line a rectangular tin (30x15cm). Prick the pastry base with a fork and blind bake for 20 minutes.
- While the pastry is cooking, beat together the melted dairy-free spread
and caster sugar in a large bowl. Stir in the ground almonds, almond extract, baking powder, thyme until well combined. Sift in the flour and gradually mix in the soya milk and, lastly, the vinegar.
- Remove pastry from the oven and spread the filling evenly over. Arrange the pear slices on top. Bake for 40 minutes until golden.
- Brush the pears with the apricot jam, dust the tart with icing sugar and sprinkle over the flaked almonds. Allow to cool in the tin for around 20 minutes then serve warm or cold. Tart will keep in the fridge for two days.
Per serving (129g) Calories: 526, Carbohydrates: 53g, Sugars: 26g, Salt: 0.87g, Fat: 31g Saturates: 6g, Protein: 8.2g
Taken from October 2018 (Issue 43) Vegan Life Magazine