This pecan pie has just the right amount of sweetness without being overly sickly and the filling is soft and chewy.
A deliciously moreish dessert that is perfect as an after dinner treat or to serve at an afternoon tea to wow friends and family.
- 250g (2 ¼ cups) plain flour
- 110g (1/2 cup) vegan butter, cubed
- 100g (1 cup) icing sugar
For the filling:
- 400g (1 cup +2 tbsp) golden syrup
- 100g (2/3 cup) breadcrumbs
- 100g (1 scant cup) crushed pecans
- 50g (1/4 cup) soft brown sugar
- 16 pecan halves (for decorating)
You will also need:
- 10-inch tart case
- To begin, preheat the oven to 180C/Gas Mark 4/350F.
- For the pastry add the plain flour, dairy free spread and icing sugar to a food processor and pulse until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Transfer mixture to a large bowl and bring together with your hands, be careful not to over work the pastry. If the pastry seems too wet add a little more flour, if it’s too dry add a little water. Once pastry is formed wrap in cling film and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- To make the filling add golden syrup, breadcrumbs, crushed pecans and soft brown sugar to a pan on a medium heat continuously stirring for 5 minutes or until mixture thickens.
- Remove pastry from fridge and roll out ¼ inch thick and line the tart case. Prick the bottom with a fork and blind bake for 10 minutes on 180C
- Remove tart case from the oven and turn over up to 200C/Gas Mark 5/375F.
- Add the filling mixture, arrange pecan halves on the top and bake for 10-15 mins on 200C.
- Remove from oven and serve warm with vegan cream, custard or ice cream.