Pink Lady® Apple and Rhubarb Tart
This is a light, but flavourful, apple and rhubarb tart recipe, making it the perfect dessert for spring or Valentines Day. Look for the reddest rhubarb possible to get a wonderful pop of colour.
- 2 – 3 Pink Lady® apples
- 300g rhubarb
- 90g sugar
- 2 tsp cornflour
- 1 package pre-rolled puff pastry
- vegan milk, for glazing
- Make the rhubarb puree by placing 200g of chopped rhubarb, 60g of sugar and 3 tbsp of water in a small saucepan. Cover with a lid and cook over a low heat until very soft and falling apart. Cool. Puree with an immersion blender or in a food processor. Return to saucepan and check sweetness. Add more sugar if desired. Stir in 1.5 tsp of cornflour and cook gently until mixture thickens slightly. Cool.
- Cut apples into slices 2 – 3 mm thick and cut out hearts (or any other shape).
- Unroll puff pastry and place on a baking tray. Being very careful not to cut through the pastry completely, gently score a border, approximately 1.5 cm thick.
- Spoon cooled rhubarb puree onto the pastry, staying within the border that’s been scored. Smooth into an even layer. Top with apple cut-outs.
- Brush border gently with vegan milk, being careful not to drip the wash over the sides of the pastry. Sprinkle with sugar, if desired, and place your apple and rhubarb tart in the oven for 30 – 35 minutes until the pastry is nicely browned, rotating after 15 minutes.
- While the tart is baking, create the rhubarb glaze by placing 100g chopped rhubarb, 30g of sugar and 2 tablespoons of water in a small saucepan. Cook over low heat until rhubarb is soft and falling apart. Cool slightly. Tip contents into a fine sieve above a bowl and collect the juice (use a spoon to force out the last few teaspoons). Return juice to the saucepan. Taste and adjust sweetness, if desired. Add 1/2 tsp of cornflour and cook until slightly thickened (you will only need a few tablespoons of liquid). If it is too thick, loosen slightly with water.
- When the tart is done baking, let cool slightly and then, using a pastry brush, gently brush with rhubarb glaze.
- Serve your beautiful Pink Lady® apple and rhubarb tart with your choice of accompaniments and enjoy!
Recipe and images courtesy of Pink Lady® Apples