This stunning pudding is not only beautifully fragrant and warming, but also deceptively simple to create, making it the perfect dessert for entertaining family and friends.
- 3 tbsp dairy-free butter
- 100g (1/2 cup) soft, light brown sugar
- 5 star anise
- 1 tsp vanilla bean powder or paste
- 700g plums, ripe but still slightly firm
- 320g ready-rolled, dairy-free puff pastry
- Ovenproof frying pan
- Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas 4. Add the dairy-free butter, sugar, star anise and vanilla to your pan and melt together gently over a low heat, stirring occasionally to make caramel. Allow to bubble and thicken for a few minutes.
- Wash the plums and halve them before removing the stones. Arrange the halves, cut side down, in the frying pan on top of the caramel.
- Unroll the pastry and drape it over the filling to cover it completely. Trim off the excess pastry from around the edges and use a spoon to tuck the edges down towards the filling. Make a small hole in the top for the steam to escape and transfer to the oven. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden.
- Remove from the oven and allow to stand for 10 minutes. When ready to serve, place a plate or board over the pan and turn over, so that the plums are on the top. Serve warm, with dairy-free cream or ice cream.
Top Tip: Although not suitable for freezing, you can get ahead by preparing the plums in advance, up to the end of stage 2. When ready to cook, simply add the pastry and bake!
Per serving (192g) Calories: 364, Carbohydrates: 44g, Sugars: 29g, Salt: 0.58g, Fat: 18g, Saturates: 7.7g, Protein: 4.0g
Taken from October 2018 (Issue 43) Vegan Life Magazine