- 6 large, firm apples
- 550g (2 cups) granulated sugar
- 180ml (¾ cups) water
- 120ml (½ cup) liquid glucose
- A few drops of vegan black gel food colouring
- Edible glitter
- 6 bamboo skewers
- Place the apples on a lined baking tray and push a skewer into each core.
- Put all the remaining ingredients, except the glitter, into a large saucepan over a medium heat, and slowly dissolve the sugar.
- Once the sugar has totally dissolved, wipe down the sides of the pan, toward the sugar mixture, with a wet pastry brush — this will help the toffee to stay crystal-free.
- Turn up the heat and boil the sugar mix to 150°C or the ‘hard crack’ stage.
- Once you have reached this point, turn off the heat, stir in the glitter and very carefully dip and roll the apples into the toffee, making sure each one is thoroughly coated. Place on the lined baking tray to harden and set.
Taken from October 2018 (Issue 43) Vegan Life Magazine