For the fish fingers:
- 1x 225g packet smoked, readypressed tofu, drained
- 60g (½ cup) plain flour
- 160ml (2/3 cup) water
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp sea salt
- Black pepper, to taste
- 1 sheet sushi nori
- Vegetable oil, for shallow frying (optional)
- 100g (1 cup) panko breadcrumbs
For the tartare sauce:
- 115ml (½ cup) light, mild olive oil
- 60ml (¼ cup) unsweetened soy milk
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 heaped tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp capers, drained and chopped
- 2 tbsp gherkins, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh dill, chopped
- ½ lemon, juice and zest
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- ½ tsp sugar
To make the sandwiches:
- 8 thick slices fresh bread
- A few handfuls watercress, washed
- Dairy-free butter (optional)
- Lemon wedges
- Pat the tofu dry with kitchen paper and cut into 12 equal fingers.
- With a sharp knife, cut 12 strips of nori to match the size of the tofu fingers.
- In a small bowl, mix together the flour, water, garlic and onion powder with some seasoning until you have a smooth batter. Place the breadcrumbs in a separate bowl.
- Take a piece of tofu and press a strip of nori onto one side. Coat in the batter, allowing the excess to run off, and then cover with the breadcrumbs, coating as evenly as possible.
- Heat 1cm of oil in a heavy based frying pan until very hot. Add the tofu and fry until golden and crispy on all sides. Remove and drain on kitchen paper and keep warm.
- To make the tartare, place the oil, milk, salt, mustard, lemon zest, sugar and lemon juice in a large, clean jar. Using an immersion blender, pulse until combined and very thick. Stir through the rest of the ingredients and set aside. This will keep covered in the fridge for 5 days.
- To serve, assemble the sandwiches with the bread, some tartare sauce, a good handful of watercress and three of the tofu fingers. Add a squeeze of lemon and some black pepper and top with another slice of bread.
Per 100g Calories: 261, Carbohydrates: 24.0g, Sugars: 1.5g, Fat: 15.0g, Saturates: 2.0g, Protein: 7.1g, Salt: 0.64g
Cover Recipe of January 2018 (Issue 34) Vegan Life Magazine