- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 200g (2 cups) chestnut mushrooms, halved or quartered
- 1 large brown onion, peeled and sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp dried tarragon
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 240ml (1 cup) Guinness, or any vegan dark stout
- 1 mushroom or vegetable stock cube
- 120ml (1/2 cup) water
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, finely chopped, plus extra to serve.
- 4-8 slices fresh, crusty bread.
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan and add the onions and mushrooms. Cook over a high heat until starting to soften and caramelise before adding the garlic. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes further
- When the mushrooms and onions have softened, add the flour to the pan and cook for another couple of minutes before adding the rest of the ingredients, except the bread, and stir until bubbling and thickened.
- Check the seasoning of the gravy and adjust if necessary. Toast the bread on both sides.
- When ready to serve, pile the mushrooms onto the toast and sprinkle with a little extra parsley. Serve immediately.
Per 100g Calories: 145, Carbohydrates: 24.0g, Sugars: 3.0g, Fat: 2.7g, Saturates: 0.5g, Protein: 5.8g, Salt: 1.3g