These delicious Potato Bhajia with Cucumber and Tomato Relish make a delicious snack or a great accompaniment to a main meal.
Serves 4-6 as a snack
For the bhajia:
- 400g unpeeled potatoes, thinly sliced
- 150g gram flour
- 60g rice flour
- 1/2 tsp corn flour
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp mild curry powder
- 3 green chillies, chopped
- 4 large cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 bunch fresh coriander, chopped
- ½ tsp fenugreek
- 2½ tsp turmeric
- 1½ tsp sugar
- 115ml (1/2 cup) water
- Oil, to deep fry
For the cucumber and tomato relish:
- 1 cucumber, finely chopped
- 4 – 6 fresh tomatoes, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- A small bunch fresh coriander, chopped
- 1 green chilli, finely diced
- 2 lemon, juiced
- 1 tbsp sugar
- Large pinch salt
- Place the sliced potatoes in a bowl of ice cold water.
- Mix all of the ingredients for the bhajia, except for the water, potatoes and oil, in a mixing bowl making sure they are well combined. Gradually add the water (you may not need it all) and whisk until a smooth, light batter is formed.
- Drain the potatoes and coat in the batter mixture. Allow to stand.
- Mix all of the relish ingredients together in a bowl, if smoother texture is prefered, blend until coarsely puréed.Place into serving bowls.
- Heat the oil in a deep pan. Carefully drop a few of the lightly coated potatoes into the oil and fry until golden all over. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper.
- Serve alongside the chutney immediately.
Per serving (449g) Calories: 388, Carbohydrates: 67.5g, Sugars: 13.5g, Fat: 8.3g, Saturates: 1.2g, Protein: 14.3g, Salt: 1.7g
Taken from August 2018 (Issue 41) Vegan life Magazine