Makes 9 Cakes
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- Handful dill, finely chopped
- 140g (1/2 cup) rice flour (can sub with white flour for non-gluten free option)
- Salt and pepper
- Wash, peel and dice potatoes.
- Boil the potatoes with bay leaves until fully cooked.
- While potatoes are cooking, heat one tablespoon of the oil in a large pan.
- Add the onion and mushrooms to the pan and cook on medium-low heat for a few minutes, then add the walnuts. Stir occasionally until all the liquid has evaporated. This will take about 15-20 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper, garlic powder and nutritional yeast.
- Once the potatoes are cooked, drain them well and mash with fork or masher, do not use a food processor as it’ll turn the potatoes watery. Season to taste, then cool the potatoes.
- Add the flour and dill to the mashed potatoes and mix well.
- Take about 2 tablespoons of the potato dough and flatten into a disk, place one spoonful of mushroom mixture and cover with more potato dough and form into a disk.
- Once all the potato cakes are assembled, heat the remaining tablespoon of oil in a large pan. Use more oil if needed.
- Place potato cakes on the pan and fry for about 5 minutes until they turn golden, flip and fry for another 5 minutes until golden.
- Serve with any leftover mushroom mixture and some lemon juice or mustard.
Per 100g Calories: 144, Carbohydrates: 18.0g, Sugars: 1.1g, Fat: 5.6g, Saturates: 0.7g, Protein: 4.1g, Salt: 0.05g