Lentil goals: Tangy and moreish, what more can you ask for?
Serves 6-8 as a starter
For the lentil salad
- 200g (1 cup) puy lentils
- 1 red onion, very finely diced
- 80ml (¹∕³ cup) olive oil
- 80ml (¹∕³ cup) balsamic vinegar
- 1 red chilli, trimmed and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tbsp dark brown sugar • 3 tbsp tomato purée • 1 tbsp fennel seeds, toasted and lightly crushed
- 1 bunch of flat leaf parsley leaves
- 75g (¹∕³ cup) baby spinach leaves, red chard leaves or bull’s blood leaves
- Salt For the roasted vegetables
- Olive oil
- 300g (2 cups) pumpkin or butternut squash, peeled and cut into 2cm (¾ inch) thick wedges
- 1 fennel bulb, trimmed and cut into 1cm (½ inch) thick wedges
- 150g (¾ cup) cherry tomatoes
- 1 courgette (zucchini), cut into 1cm (½-inch) thick wedges
- 2 red or yellow peppers, cored, deseeded and cut into 1cm (½ inch) thick wedges
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (gas mark 6, 350°F).
- Bring a saucepan of salted water to a boil and add the lentils :lower the heat and simmer for 15–20 minutes until tender. Drain and put in a large salad bowl.
- Put the onion, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, chilli, garlic, sugar, tomato purée and crushed fennel seeds in a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer and cook gently, stirring frequently, for 4–5 minutes until the sugar has dissolved. Spoon the warm dressing over the lentils and leave to cool.
- For the roasted vegetables, drizzle a little oil on to the base of a roasting tin. Add the pumpkin or squash pieces, season with salt and mix together thoroughly. Roast for 10 minutes. Toss the fennel and whole tomatoes in a little oil, add to the tin and roast for another 10 minutes. Finally, toss the courgette and peppers in a little oil, add to the tin and roast for a further 10 minutes. By now the vegetables should all be tender and cooked through. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Roughly chop the parsley and add to the salad bowl along with the spinach leaves and roasted vegetables. Mix everything together well and serve.
Taken from March 2017 (Issue 24) Vegan Life Magazine
Recipes and images from : Mildreds: The Vegetarian Cookbook. Published by Mitchell Beazley, £25 Web: octopusbooks.co.uk