Pack your plate with veggies and make this super clean stir-fry
- 100g (½ cup) quinoa, rinsed
- 1 tsp reduced-sodium vegetable stock powder
- 30g (¼ cup) raw cashew nuts
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and julienned
- ½ small red onion, finely sliced
- 100g (1 cup) beansprouts
- 100g (1 cup) savoy cabbage, roughly shredded
- 1 mild red or green chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
For the sauce
- 3cm (1½ in) piece of ginger, peeled and finely grated
- 1 large clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp agave
- 2 tbsp reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- Place the quinoa in a small, heavy-based saucepan with the vegetable stock powder and 200ml (1 cup) cold water. Bring to the boil, then reduce to a low simmer and cook, covered, for 15 minutes until all the liquid has been absorbed and the grains develop a ‘ring ’around them, known as the germ.
- Turn the cooked quinoa out onto a large plate, fork through to separate the grains, and allow it to cool. At this point, the quinoa can be refrigerated for up to three days before using.
- To make the sauce, whisk all the ingredients together in a small bowl until combined. Set aside until needed.
- Heat a wok over a medium heat and dry-fry the chopped cashews for 2–3 minutes, stirring constantly, until they start to colour in places and turn golden-brown. Remove from the pan and roughly chop.
- Wipe the pan with a piece of kitchen paper to remove any nut residue (which will otherwise burn).
- Heat the coconut oil over a high heat until it starts to almost smoke. Add the carrots and stir-fry for 1 minute. Add the onion and cook for a further minute. Finally, add the beansprouts and cabbage and cook for another minute, along with the chilli.
- Add the sauce to the pan, mix it well, then add the cooled quinoa to the vegetables. Turn them through well and cook for a final 1–2 minutes until the quinoa is heated through. Scatter the cashews over the top of the dish and serve immediately.
Taken from March 2017 (Issue 24) Vegan Life Magazine
Recipes and images from Super Clean Superfoods Published by DK, 16 January 2017. £14.99. DK.com