Makes 6-8 pieces
For the base
- 130g (1 cup) raw almonds
- 75g (1 cup) coconut flakes
- ½ tsp salt
- 240g or 12 large pitted Medjool dates
For the filling
- 300g (2½ cups) raw cashews, soaked for 3–6 hours
- 190ml (¾ cup) coconut milk
- 125ml (½ cup) maple syrup or rice malt syrup
- 125ml (½ cup) water
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract with seeds
- 80ml (¹∕³ cup) melted cacao butter
- 80ml (¹∕³ cup) melted coconut oil
- 100g (1 cup) frozen raspberries
- To make the base, simply pulse the almonds, coconut flakes and salt in a food processor until a fine meal forms. Add the dates and process until it begins to stick together into a dough. Press into a lined 10×20cm (4×8 inch) loaf tin and freeze.
- Drain and rinse the cashews. Blend them with the coconut milk, maple syrup, water and vanilla in a high-speed blender until no lumps remain. Keep blending and slowly add the cacao butter and coconut oil.
- Pour over the base. Disperse frozen raspberries evenly throughout the slice and then smooth the top.
- Freeze the whole slice for 3–4 hours or ideally overnight until fully frozen. 5. To serve, allow the slice to defrost for at least 15 minutes before cutting with a hot, wet knife. 6. Keep stored in a sealed container in the freezer and simply defrost slices prior to consuming.
Taken from March 2017 (Issue 24) Vegan Life Magazine
Recipes and images from Beautifully Real Food by Sam Murphy. On sale 23rd February Published by Blink Publishing RRP £16.99