We tell you how to make a gorgeous vegan lemon cheesecake from The Essential Edible Pharmacy by Sophie Manolas
This recipe requires soaking overnight, plus a long chilling time.
For the Crust
- 225g (1 cup) Medjool dates
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 250g (2 cups) walnuts (almonds and macadamias work, too, or try a combination of all three)
For the Filling
- 300g (2 cups) raw cashew nuts, soaked in water overnight
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 175g (1/2 cup) maple syrup
- 4 tsp vanilla paste
- 12 tsp coconut oil
- 60ml (¼ cup) water
- Extra lemon to garnish, if desired
- First, make the crust. In a food processor, blend all crust ingredients until the mixture clumps together when pinched.
- Press the mixture into the bottom of a springform cake tin and place in the fridge or freezer while you make the filling.
- Drain and rinse the cashew nuts then place in the food processor and blend until a buttery paste forms, slowly adding water as needed. Keep blending until the mixture is very smooth and no lumps remain. Now add the lemon juice and zest, maple syrup, vanilla paste and coconut oil and keep blending.
- Remove the crust from the fridge or freezer. Pour the filling into the crust, and place in the freezer for at least 3 hours, or ideally overnight.
- Take out of the freezer 15 minutes prior to serving, and garnish with very thinly sliced lemon peel or lemon zest.
- Calories: 485
- Fat: 35g
- Saturated fat: 8.7g
- Sugars: 18g
- Protein: 11g
- Salt: 0.02g
Recipe and image from The Essential Edible Pharmacy: Heal Yourself from the Inside Out by Sophie Manolas, £16.99 paperback, Exisle Publishing. www.exislepublishing.co.uk