Red Velvet Cupcakes
These red velvet cupcakes by The Groovy Food Company are coloured using natural beetroot juice and use an healthier alternative to sugar, coconut sugar, to sweeten them.
For the cake:
- 60g (2.1oz) vegan butter
- 125g (4.4oz) chocolate chips
- 60ml (1/4 cup) beetroot juice
- 2 flax ”eggs’, at room temperature
- 60g (2.1oz) The Groovy Food Company Organic Coconut Sugar
- 95g (3.4oz) almond flour
- 65g (2.3oz) cocoa powder
- 85g (3oz) The Groovy Food Company Organic Coconut Flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 pinch sea salt
For the icing:
- 135g (4.8oz) vegan cream cheese, softened
- 135g (4.8oz) vegan butter, softened
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 90ml (generous 1/3 cup) The Groovy Food Company Light & Mild Agave Nectar
- Preheat the oven to 165°C/325F/Gas 3
- In a microwave safe bowl, melt the butter and chocolate chips together in the microwave on high power for 30 second increments.
- Whisk the beet juice and eggs in a large bowl and add the sugar. Beat well.
- Add in the melted butter and chocolate.
- Mix in the almond flour, cocoa powder, coconut flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, and sea salt.
- Evenly divide the batter between 12 lined muffin cups in a muffin tin.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes.
- Let the cupcakes cool on a wire rack completely before frosting.
- For the icing, mix together the cream cheese, butter, vanilla and agave.
- Beat well until light and fluffy.
- Ice the cupcakes as desired and serve.
Recipe and images courtesy of The Groovy Food Company