Makes 9 squares
This is a delicious, easy-to-make snack to keep yourself—or little ones—going. Plus, it’s nut-free so you can bring them places nuts are not welcomed. Add a chocolate drizzle and you have a fancy treat without all the sugar.
- 40g (¼ cup) dark chocolate chips
- 20g (¼ cup) cooked or canned chickpeas, mashed
- 60ml (¼ cup) tahini
- 120ml (½ cup) brown rice syrup
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 75g (3 cups) puffed rice cereal
- 30g (¼ cup) sunflower seeds
- 30g (¼ cup) pumpkin seeds
- 15g (1⁄8 cup) hemp hearts
- 45g (¼ cup) chopped dates or apricots
- Slowly melt chocolate in a bowl placed in a pan of simmering water. Set aside to cool.
- In a large pot over low heat, add mashed chickpeas, tahini, and brown rice syrup, and stir until softened and well combined.
- Remove from heat and stir in salt and vanilla.
- Fold in puffed rice cereal, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, hemp hearts, and chopped fruit.
- Pour into an oiled 8 x 8-inch pan and press firmly.
- Add melted chocolate to a pastry bag (or sandwich bag with the corner cut off) and let your inner chocolate artist loose.
- Cover pan with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.