Become a professional at making your own own dips and side dishes with this recipe for roast garlic houmous.
(Celebrate International Houmous Day – 12th May 2017)
- 400g (2 cups) canned chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 60ml (1/4 cup) warm water
- 1 large bulb (head) of garlic
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 190°C (375°F, gas mark 5). Cut off the top of the garlic bulb so that the tops of most of the cloves are exposed slightly. Coat with olive oil and wrap in tin foil. Roast in the oven for 1 hour. Remove and set aside to cool
- Once cooled, squeeze the soft garlic into the food processor. Add all remaining ingredients to the food processor and blend until completely smooth.
- If you feel your houmous is too thick, gradually add some additional olive oil.
- Serve at room temperature with homemade falafel and pittas.