This warming dish is the ultimate plant-based comfort food, made with Alpro Oat Unsweetened drink which contains no sugars and no sweeteners at all!
- 1 butternut squash (around 1 kg)
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 75g grated vegan parmesan or 15g Nutritional yeast flakes
- ½ tsp powered garlic
- 1 tsp. mustard powder
- 1 tsp grated nutmeg
- 300ml Alpro Oat Unsweetened drink
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, plus a little extra for oiling the squash
- 1 bunch of age
- 100g hazelnuts, roughly chopped
- 400g macaroni
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4
- Cut the squash in half length-ways and scoop out and discard the seeds. Score the flesh with a cross hatch pattern using a sharp knife, brush lightly with a little oil, season generously with salt and pepper. Place on a parchment lined baking tray flesh side down and cook in the oven for 50-60 mins or until completely soft all the way through, you can check this by piercing the flesh with a knife.
- Cook the pasta as per the packet instructions in seasoned water.
- Whilst the pasta is cooking, scoop the flesh from the butternut leaving the skin behind and place in a blender or processor along with the lemon juice, vegan parmesan, powdered garlic, mustard powder, 1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil, Alpro Oat Unsweetened drink and nutmeg.
- Heat the sauce through on the hob, adjusting the seasoning to taste with salt and pepper.
- Heat the remaining tbsp. of olive oil in a small pan over a medium heat and fry the sage leaves and hazelnuts until crispy.
- Mix the pasta into the sauce and spoon into bowls, top with the sage and hazelnuts to serve.
Recipe and Images Courtesy of Alpro