- 1 head of garlic
- 120ml (½ cup) plus 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- Salt • 1∕4 tsp finely grated lemon zest
- 4 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard, plus extra to taste
- 2 tsp finely chopped shallot
- 2 tsp coconut nectar or pure maple syrup
- 1∕8 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp roughly chopped fresh tarragon
- 1 head of cauliflower, cut into florets with the stems attached
- 2 yellow peppers, deseeded and cut into long strips
- 2 courgettes (zucchinis), cut lengthways into eighths
- ½ red onion, cut into eighths
- 3 tbsp plus 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 bunches tender stem broccoli
- 1 romaine lettuce heart, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp flat-leaf parsley, plus extra to taste
- 2 tbsp finely chopped chives, plus extra to taste
- Lemon juice, to taste Optional boosters
- Pinch of chilli flakes, plus extra to taste
- 35g (1∕4 cup) dry-toasted pine nuts
- 1∕8 tsp finely grated lemon zest
- Preheat the oven to 190°C (375°F/gas mark 5). Line two large baking trays with baking paper.
- Cut off the top of the head of garlic, brush with the 1 teaspoon of oil and sprinkle with a pinch of salt. Wrap the head in baking paper, then in foil (to allow the garlic to steam and not burn, and to reduce aluminium transfer) and roast for 40–60 minutes until tender. Allow the garlic to cool, then squeeze the pulp out of the skins. This should make about 2 tablespoons of roasted garlic. Set aside.
- To prepare the vegetables, toss the cauliflower, peppers, courgettes and red onion with 2 tablespoons of the oil, ½ teaspoon of salt and ½ teaspoon of pepper. Arrange the vegetables on one of the prepared baking trays in a single layer and roast for 30–40 minutes until lightly browned.
- Toss the broccoli with 1 tablespoon of the oil, 1∕4 teaspoon of salt and 1∕4 teaspoon of pepper. Arrange the broccoli in a single layer on the second prepared baking tray and roast for about 15 minutes, until al dente.
- While the veggies are roasting, finish making the dressing. Throw the remaining 120ml (½ cup) of olive oil, ½ teaspoon of salt, the roasted garlic pulp, the lemon zest, lemon juice, mustard, shallot, coconut nectar, black pepper and the red chilli flake booster into your blender and blast on high for about 30 seconds until emulsified and creamy. Tweak the chilli flakes to taste. Add the tarragon and pulse a few times just to break it down and evenly disperse it. You don’t want to over process the tarragon.
- In a large bowl, combine the roasted veggies, the romaine lettuce, parsley, chives, lemon juice to taste and the pine nut booster and toss with 120ml (½ cup) of the dressing. Add more dressing to taste and season with salt and pepper. Serve topped with lemon zest booster. Pass extra dressing around the table.
Taken from April 2017 (Issue 25) Vegan Life Magazine
Recipes and images from : The Perfect Blend by Tess Masters Published by Jacqui Small, £16.99