Give your loved one a delicious vegan treat this Valentine’s Day with these delicate rose and pistachio meringue kisses
Makes 30-40 mini meringues
- 1x 400g tin chickpeas, drained (save the chickpeas for another recipe)
- 100g (1/2 cup) caster sugar
- 2 tsp rose water
- 1 tsp cream of tartar
- 1 tsp xantham gum
- A few drops pink vegan gel food colouring
- ½ cup shelled pistachios, finely chopped
You will also need:
- An electric hand whisk
- A piping bag or plastic sandwich bag
- 2 baking sheets
- Parchment paper
- Preheat oven to 110°C (Gas Mark 1/4, 225°F). Pour the liquid from the chickpeas (aquafaba) into a large mixing bowl and add the rose water, cream of tartar and xantham gum. Whisk until stiff peaks begin to form.
- Add the caster sugar gradually, as spoonful at a time, whisking in between to ensure it is fully incorporated. Fold in the chopped pistachios.
- Place small blobs of meringue at the corners of each baking sheet and use this to stick down a sheet of parchment on each. Colour the mixture at this stage if you wish.
- Spoon the mixture into a piping bag or food bag, snip of the corner off and carefully pipe small mounds of the meringue on to the paper. Continue until all the mixture has been used. Sprinkle with the remaining chopped pistachios.
- Transfer to the oven and bake for 1 hour 30 minutes. After this time turn the oven off, open the door slightly and leave the meringues inside overnight to dry out completely. Store in a completely dry, airtight container.