For the Tofu:
- 1x 400g block extra firm tofu, drained well and pressed
- 4 tbsp cornflour
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp sea salt flakes
- 1 tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp chilli flakes (optional)
- 4 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 1 large, mild red chilli, finely sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- Olive oil
For the Noodles:
- 3 nests fine vermicelli rice noodles
- 4 spring onions, trimmed and sliced on the diagonal
- 1 small pepper, deseeded and sliced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and cut into strips
- 50g (1 cup) beansprouts
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp mild curry powder
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1 inch piece ginger, peeled and grated
- Chopped fresh coriande
- Lime wedges
- Place the noodles in a large bowl of cold water and set aside.
- Combine the cornflour, onion and garlic powders, salt, pepper and chilli flakes, if using, in a large bowl. Cut the tofu into bite sized chunks and toss in the cornflour mixture, making sure it’s evenly coated. Leave to sit in the bowl for 5 minutes.
Heat 0.5cms oil in a large, wide frying pan and add the tofu. Continue to fry, turning frequently, until all sides are crispy and lightly golden. Remove from the oil and drain on kitchen paper.
- Add the stir fry vegetables to the pan and cook over a high heat until they begin to soften. Add the garlic and ginger and allow to sizzle for a minute before adding the rest of the noodle ingredients to the pan (strain the noodles before ading them).
- Cook for a further few minutes, until the vegetables and noodles are tender. Transfer to a serving dish and keep warm.
- Wipe the frying pan with kitchen paper and add 2 tablespoons of oil. When the oil is hot, add the sliced spring onions and chilli, the garlic and a large pinch of sea salt flakes. Stir fry for 1-2 minutes. Add the tofu and allow to warm through.
- Serve the noodles in bowls, topped with the tofu and garnished with coriander leaves and lime wedges.
Per 100g Calories: 125, Carbohydrates: 15.0g, Sugars: 2.0g, Fat: 4.7g, Saturates: 0.6g, Protein: 5.2g, Salt: 0.68g
Taken from June 2018 (Issue 39) Vegan Life Magazine