Light, fluffy and visually striking, these waffles are a delicious, savoury take on a brunch favourite. Serve with the toppings below or get creative and make up your own combinations.
- 220g (2 cups) plain flour
- 2 tbsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast (optional)
- 1 tbsp activated charcoal
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp sea salt flakes
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 480ml (2 cups) unsweetened soya milk
- 60ml (1/4 cup) vegetable oil
- 200g (scant 1 cup) non-dairy cream cheese
- 4 tbsp vegan basil pesto
- 200g (1 cup) cherry tomatoes
- 100g (4 cups) wild rocket
- A handful fresh chives and basil, chopped
- Preheat a waffle maker. In a large bowl, mix the flour, garlic powder, nutritional yeast, charcoal, baking powder, salt and pepper together. Whisk in the oil and soya milk until you have a smooth, thick batter.
- Once the waffle maker is hot, pour in a generous amount of batter.
Quickly shut the lid and leave to cook for the recommended time (usually around 3-5 minutes).
- Once cooked, put the waffles on a plate and keep warm while you make the rest. While the waffles are cooking, mix together the non-dairy cream cheese, pesto and season well.
- Serve the waffles warm, with a scoop of pesto cream cheese, a handful of rocket and some tomatoes. Sprinkle over some fresh herbs and freshly cracked black pepper before serving.
Per serving (290g) Calories: 463, Carbohydrates: 49.6g, Sugars: 2.9g, Salt: 2.5g, Fat: 24.5g Saturates: 2.6g, Protein: 11.9g
Taken from September 2018 (Issue 42) Vegan Life Magazine